Why Write This? Why Read It?
From the time I can remember I wanted to be an Architect. I have been working as an Architect since 2001. I have worked in small and big firms. I have designed homes that have sold for over $30 million dollars. Other projects include hotels, government buildings, mixed use buildings, high rises over 30 stories tall, a jungle home and my first modular home where I kept a daily blog at Eustilus A+D.
From the time I realized I wanted to spend more time with my family and after I read Rich Dad Poor Dad I knew that passive income was the way to go. I began to ask google lots of questions and every time Bigger Pockets had answers.
That was about a year ago. In that time I have read many books, articles, blogs, seen webinars and even attended a weekend seminar by a Guru. No way was I spending the money for the full Guru package. However, the $100 weekend course was worth it.
I am not an expert in finding properties or how to invest your money or how to buy a duplex. That is the advice I need. That is why I come to BP everyday.
What I can offer is my limited experience in real estate from an Architect's perspective. I see these questions everyday on the forum. For example;
- When to get a variance (almost never)?
- Who do I talk to at the city to get my plans approved (municipalities are much easier on homeowners than professionals)?
- How to handle a contractor (lots of photos and a paper trail)?
- When to hire an Architect (not always)?
- Is modular a good way to build (yes)?
- What is a micro unit (it's really small)?
- How much of an addition may the house have (depends)?
- How to convert a house to be energy efficient without breaking the budget (insulation)?
- What should I ask the zoning department when looking at a property (lots of stuff)?
If life allows I hope to write an entry every week or bi-weekly. I will focus on what I see is missing from the forums or topics that have been asked numerous times that an Architect might have insight. If there are any topics that I might be missing or I get something completely wrong please let me know. More minds are better than one.
I hope to be a valuable resource to the BP community as BP has been valuable to me. Until next week.